Our popular Cream Cheese Buttercream with rich cocoa and natural red food color for spot-on color and flavor of classic Red Velvet Cake. Pipes beautifully, the texture is like mousse and it tastes just like Red Velvet Cheesecake!
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226 g) unsalted butter, softened (or 1 stick each salted & unsalted)
- 1 (8 oz or 226 g) package cream cheese, chilled from the fridge
- 2½ teaspoons (12.5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) gel based red food coloring
- 4½ cups (540 g) confectioners’ sugar, spooned in cup, leveled off & sifted
- ¼ cup (28 g) fine-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or handheld mixer and large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until creamy. Add cream cheese; beat until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and food coloring and mix until well blended. Gradually increase mixer speed to high and continue beating until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary with rubber spatula.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sifted confectioners’ sugar and cocoa. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and cocoa mixture, beating on low speed (stir), until well combined. Beat on high speed until well combined and smooth while scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, about 2 minutes.
- Before filling, frosting, icing and piping cakes, rebeat buttercream to ensure smoothness.
- Yield: Makes over 4½ cups (1080 ml) ; enough to fill and frost a 9-inch (23 cm) two layer cake, or 8-inch (20 cm) three layer cake, or 18 to 24 cupcakes—depending on amount used to simply ice cupcakes with a knife or icing spatula (in the traditional manner) or pipe elaborate swirls, or decorate with other piping details.
If not using immediately, the buttercream can be refrigerated for up to 2 to 3 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature before beating smooth again.
If using the buttercream to pipe details, be sure to use chilled hands when handling pastry bag as warm hands can melt the buttercream.
To lighten up the texture of this buttercream even further, whip in a few tablespoons of heavy whipping cream to create an even lighter mousse-like cream cheese buttercream filling.
Cook Time above simply means Active Time for preparing buttercream.
Red Velvet-Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Buttercream: Stir in desired amount of finely chopped chocolate (bittersweet or semisweet) or mini semisweet chocolate chips.
Wicked Good Kitchen highly recommends selecting organic ingredients whenever possible.
For this recipe, we highly recommend Pernigotti Unsweetened Cocoa Powder available at Williams-Sonoma stores as well as Natural Gel-based Red Food Coloring by ChefMaster® found at Supply Village. We also highly recommend organic grass-fed butter and confectioners’ sugar as well as Organic Valley® Cream Cheese and Nielsen-Massey® Organic Pure Vanilla Extract.
Original Recipe Source: WickedGoodKitchen.com
Copyright © Wicked Good Kitchen. All content and images are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words. Alternatively, link back to this post for the recipe.