What makes our Homemade Sweet Cornbread Mix wicked good? Our sweet cornbread mix is easy to make. In addition, it is made with fresh all-natural organic ingredients by brands you can trust. It is sweetened just right and has the maximum amount of cornmeal for that deep and satisfying sweet corn taste. Finally, there is just the right amount of baking powder for a good rise and organic expeller-pressed sunflower oil versus hydrogenated vegetable shortening for a moist and tender crumb. Not only that, our mix performs perfectly when making cornbread, corn muffins or even corn pudding! What’s not to love?
- 1½ cups (188 grams) organic unbleached all-purpose flour, such as Hodgson Mill®
- 1½ cups (210 grams) organic yellow cornmeal, such as Arrowhead Mills™
- ½ cup (100 grams) organic granulated cane sugar, such as 365 Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®
- 2 tablespoons (29 grams) aluminum free baking powder, such as 365 Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®
- ½ teaspoon (2.4 grams) baking soda, such as 365 Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®, optional*
- ½ teaspoon (2.4 grams) fine-grain sea salt, such as Eden Foods®
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon (18 ml) organic expeller pressed sunflower seed oil, such as 365 Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda (if desired) and salt.
- Create a well in the center and add oil. Toss mixture together with a fork; then use hands to blend until thoroughly incorporated.
- Measure and use in favorite recipes.
- *Using baking soda will create a lighter baked product when using buttermilk or sour cream with mix.
Recipe can easily be doubled.
For less sweet breads, cut back on the sugar in mix and adjust to your taste.
Store airtight in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks, if using the oil called for in the recipe. Label and date.
For Longer Shelf Life: As a general rule, flour and cornmeal should be stored in a cool, dry place away from sunlight such as a pantry. Whether mixed or not, each ingredient will keep in an airtight container from 6 to 12 months in the pantry. To extend shelf life, omit the oil called for in the recipe and store tightly sealed (airtight) in the refrigerator or freezer. The mix will keep in the refrigerator for up to 18 months or freezer for up to 24 months. This longer shelf life is only recommended if no oil is added to the recipe. Since oils can quickly become rancid, for food safety reasons do not add oil if a longer shelf life for your mix is desired. Don’t forget to label and date your mix.
For Gluten-Free Option: Substitute 1½ cups (192 grams) Cup4Cup Gluten-Free Flour (INGREDIENTS: Cornstarch, white rice flour, brown rice flour, milk powder, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum.), available at Williams-Sonoma, or your favorite gluten free flour blend (that includes guar gum or xanthan gum) measured cup for cup or by grams in place of the all-purpose wheat flour called for in recipe. The Organic Yellow Cornmeal by Arrowhead Mills™ is Certified Gluten Free.
Original Recipe Source: WickedGoodKitchen.com
Copyright © Wicked Good Kitchen. All content and images are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words. Alternatively, link back to this post for the recipe.