Extra creamy, silky and incredibly light, our Vanilla Silk Buttercream melts on the tongue and is not too sweet. This special buttercream is made using a secret ingredient, unique method and is the perfect creamy American-style vanilla buttercream frosting for special occasion or everyday cakes and cupcakes. It will become your favorite American-style extra-creamy, vanilla buttercream!
- 4 cups (480 g) 100% pure cane confectioners’ sugar, spooned into cup, leveled off and sifted
- ½ cup (120 ml) filtered or purified water
- 3 tablespoons (about 13 g) organic non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) pure almond extract
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113 g) salted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick or 113 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (192 g) organic palm shortening, at room temperature
- Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, place confectioners’ sugar into work bowl. Dissolve nonfat milk powder in water and then bring to a boil either in microwave or in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Carefully pour boiling reconstituted milk over confectioners’ sugar in a steady stream with mixer on low speed (stir). Increase mixer speed to medium and beat, scraping down sides of bowl with rubber spatula, until sugar dissolves, mixture is smooth and cooled to room temperature, about 4 minutes. Add extracts and mix until well blended.
- Add butter and shortening and beat on low (stir), scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, until creamy and almost fully incorporated, about 2 minutes. Gradually increase mixer speed to medium and continue beating until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary with rubber spatula, about 10 minutes. (Beating buttercream on low and medium speeds will prevent it from incorporating too much air causing too many air bubbles.) If desired, tint buttercream with food coloring paste as suggested below in the Notes section.
- Before filling, frosting, icing and piping cakes, rebeat buttercream to ensure smoothness.
- Yield: Makes about 4½ cups (1080 ml); enough to fill and frost a 9-inch (23 cm) two layer cake, or 8-inch (20 cm) three layer cake, or 18 to 24 cupcakes—depending on amount used to simply ice cupcakes with a knife or icing spatula (in the traditional manner) or pipe elaborate swirls, or decorate with other piping details.
If not using immediately, keep bowl covered tightly to keep buttercream from drying before frosting cake or cupcakes.
Buttercream can be refrigerated for up to 1 week in an airtight container. Storing longer than this is not recommended due to the dairy content. Before using, bring to room temperature before beating smooth again.
If using the buttercream to pipe details, be sure to use chilled hands when handling pastry bag as warm hands can easily melt the buttercream.
This buttercream will last for up to 3 days at room temperature when on a frosted cake, covered.
Cook Time above simply means Active Time for preparing buttercream.
For Vanilla Bean Ivory Silk Buttercream: Reduce pure vanilla extract to 2 teaspoons (10 ml) and add the pulp of one large, plump, split vanilla bean.
For Natural “Crème Bouquet” Flavored Ivory Silk Buttercream: If desired, omit almond extract. Add ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) Fiori di Sicilia (“Flowers of Sicily” vanilla and citrus flavoring extract) by King Arthur Flour®. Alternatively, add fine-quality pure lemon and/or orange extracts, about ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) total, or to taste.
For Extra Thick Buttercream: Reduce liquid (boiling water) by 2 tablespoons (30 ml) (use only 6 tablespoons (90 ml ) versus 8 tablespoons (120 ml) in the ½ cup called for) and use only 2 tablespoons (30 ml) plus 1 teaspoon (1.45 g) of non-fat dry milk powder before mixing and using in the recipe. This will create a less billowy and light buttercream allowing for nice piping details.
Carnation® Instant Nonfat Dry Milk by Nestle® may be substituted for the organic non-fat dry milk powder.
Wicked Good Kitchen highly recommends selecting organic ingredients whenever possible.
For this recipe, we recommend organic confectioners’ sugar and grass-fed butter. We also highly recommend Nielsen-Massey® Organic Pure Vanilla Extract and Nielsen-Massey® Pure Almond Extract as well as Spectrum® Organic All Vegetable Shortening made from 100% organic palm oil and NOW Foods® Organic Non-fat Dry Milk Powder .
Original Recipe Source: WickedGoodKitchen.com
Copyright © Wicked Good Kitchen. All content and images are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words. Alternatively, link back to this post for the recipe.