Rich, ultra-creamy, light and fluffy and packed with citrus flavor, this incredible buttercream frosting is made with orange curd, zest and a special extract, has the texture of mousse and tastes just like orange cheesecake! Perfect for refreshing spring cakes, cupcakes and desserts. Pipes beautifully!
A Special Buttercream for Spring and Summer:
Orange Cream Cheese Buttercream
Spring is here! And it is time to celebrate the season.
My sweet friends, The Buttercream Series continues here at Wicked Good Kitchen and today I am happy to share with you a favorite recipe for cream cheese buttercream, Orange Cream Cheese Buttercream. It is the ideal buttercream frosting for cakes celebrating spring and summer special occasions, birthdays and holidays.
As with the other cream cheese buttercreams in this series, this exceptional buttercream base is rich and buttery, melts on the tongue and is truly divine. Now, with the addition of homemade or fine-quality orange curd, our cream cheese buttercream becomes incredibly extraordinary. I kid you not. Citrus and cheesecake lovers around the world, rejoice!
With several layer cakes planned for Wicked Good Kitchen’s upcoming Layer Cake Series, I wanted to offer a good selection of buttercream frosting options.
In fact, this recipe for Orange Cream Cheese Buttercream will mark the sixteenth (16th) cream cheese buttercream to be featured on the blog with other buttercream frostings—each perfect for holidays and special occasions as well as everyday.
Here are the other fifteen (15):
- Best Ever Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Best Ever Decorator’s Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Caramel Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Chocolate Nutella Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Lemon Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Mint Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Pumpkin Spice Caramel Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Red Velvet Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Strawberry (or Cherry) Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Strawberry-Raspberry Mascarpone Buttercream
- White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream
- White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
Each cream cheese buttercream is phenomenally good and, believe it or not, there are still more cream cheese buttercream frostings to come!
Our Orange Cream Cheese Buttercream would be the perfect frosting for our White Velvet Layer Cake, citrus cakes or your favorite yellow layer cakes and cupcakes—even chiffon cakes.
If you are in need of a special buttercream to frost or fill cookies, this special citrus cream cheese frosting will fit the bill and then some. It is rich and creamy and everything you would expect it to be when you want to add orange flavor to your sugar cookies, chocolate cookies, donuts or other baked treats and will only complement them. The ideas are endless.
This spring, you really should treat yourself by whipping up a batch of our Orange Cream Cheese Buttercream to frost your favorite baked sweets. You and your loved are going to love this one. I promise.
Below are Pinterest-friendly sized images to pin at Pinterest!
- 1 cup (2 sticks/226 grams) unsalted butter, softened (or 1 stick salted & 1 stick unsalted)
- 4 ounces (½ 8-ounce package/113 grams) cream cheese, such as Philadelphia®, chilled from the fridge
- ½ cup (120 grams) homemade or fine-quality prepared orange curd
- 1 tablespoon (6 grams) freshly grated orange zest, organic preferred
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) Fiori di Sicilia (Flowers of Sicily) extract, by King Arthur Flour®
- 4 to 4½ cups (480 to 540 grams) confectioners’ sugar, spooned in cup, leveled off & sifted
- Natural orange gel based food coloring, such as CHEFMASTER®, optional
Tips:If not using immediately, the buttercream can be refrigerated for up to 2 to 3 days in an airtight container. Before using, bring to room temperature before beating smooth again. If using the buttercream to pipe details, be sure to use chilled hands when handling pastry bag as warm hands can melt the buttercream. Substitution: If not using Fiori di Sicilia (Flowers of Sicily) extract, add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and ¼ teaspoon orange extract or a few drops of orange oil, such as by such as Boyajian®—omit for a gluten-free variation (see Allergy Note below). IMPORTANT FOOD ALLERGY NOTE: Omit pure orange oil to make Orange Cream Cheee Buttercream gluten free as Boyajian® Citrus Oil Collection is processed on equipment shared with peanut oil, soy and wheat. Shopping: Prepared fine-quality Orange Curd by Mrs. Bridges® can be purchased online at Amazon.com. Original Recipe Source: WickedGoodKitchen.com Copyright © Wicked Good Kitchen. All content and images are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words. Alternatively, link back to this post for the recipe.