The perfect Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix! The world’s best hot cocoa, according to our family, because we only use the finest cocoa powder and ingredients with the ideal ratio of sugar and brown sugar to cocoa as well as a touch of salt for a pleasing salty-sweet taste. This recipe creates an exceptional cup of “real deal” hot cocoa for family and friends to enjoy over the Christmas holiday season…and all winter long. Rich and creamy Classic Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix you can customize with our variations for the whole family to include half-batch and small batch recipes. What could be better?
A New Winter Classic Recipe:
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix ~ The World’s Best
Baby, it’s cold outside. But, no worries as hot cocoa season is here!
My friends, this is straight-up, real deal, classic Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix—the ultimate. No cornstarch. No powdered sugar (with cornstarch added). No dried milk powder. No artificial ingredients. Just all-natural, organic and pure ingredients in a mix to keep handy during the cold winter months for a quick and tasty warmup treat.
Pernigotti Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, made in Italy, from Williams-Sonoma.
The world’s best, you ask? Yep. That’s right, according to our family and us. This is because we only use the finest cocoa in the world, Italian Pernigotti cocoa (or Cacao di Pernigotti available at Williams-Sonoma), and other fine-quality, all-natural, organic and pure ingredients in the proper ratios. Pernigotti Cocoa has been a personal favorite of mine since the early 1990s. It’s phenomenal.
Coarse Kosher Sea Salt, 365™ Everyday Value, from Whole Foods Market®.
We don’t even use regular table salt. It takes no time at all to use a mortar and pestle to grind coarse kosher or sea salt to a fine powder to easily blend into the mix and create exceptional taste and a perfect salty-sweet flavor balance. Each ingredient is 100% pure.
Organic and vegan pure cane sugars, 365™ Everyday Value, from Whole Foods Market®.
On the product packaging, pure cane sugars from Whole Foods Market® are marked vegan.
Below, I am mixing part granulated pure cane sugar and light brown pure cane sugar, then blending in the rich Pernigotti unsweetened cocoa powder and kosher sea salt that was ground powder-fine using a mortar and pestle.
This incredible Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix whips up in just minutes! So easy.
Our fabulous Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix makes a thoughtful holiday gift from the kitchen and makes the richest, creamiest and most flavorful homemade hot cocoa or hot chocolate, from scratch, you will ever have! Everyone will love it.
Just look at that rich color. Now, imagine the rich cocoa flavor kissed with pure vanilla!
Homemade Hot Cocoa with Fresh Whipped Cream dusted with cocoa powder.
Wicked Good Kitchen’s Top 10 Secrets to Make the Very Best Cup of Hot Cocoa
- Use only fine-quality premium ingredients
- Use only organic and 100% pure all-natural ingredients
- Use only premium Dutch-processed cocoa, with 22 to 24% cocoa butter, flavored with real 100% pure vanilla (not artificial), or your favorite raw cocoa powder
- Use part pure cane granulated sugar and pure cane light or dark brown sugar, or dark Muscovado sugar, in your favorite ratio, for enhanced flavor
- Use a touch of pure salt, such as kosher, natural sea or kosher sea salt, not table salt with additives, for the perfect salty-sweet balance and flavor
- Use only the finest organic dairy whole milk or heavy cream from grass-fed cows
- Use only the very best full-fat coconut milk and/or homemade almond milk without additives for non-dairy and vegan options
- Top with fresh dairy whipped cream, whipped coconut cream or homemade or artisan marshmallows made without additives
- Sprinkle topping with grated premium bittersweet (60 to 70% cacao content) or semisweet chocolate and/or peppermint crunch or dust with fine-quality spices such as cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg or cayenne and/or chili powder for a little “heat”
- Spike with only the finest spirits and liqueurs, such as Amaretto, Baileys® Irish Cream, bourbon, Frangelico® hazelnut liqueur, Grand Marnier® orange brandy, Kahlúa®, Peppermint Schnapps, rum or whiskey, and flavor with only fine-quality food grade essential oils or extracts such as vanilla and peppermint
For the Christmas holiday season, you really must treat yourself to a batch of The World’s Best Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix to keep handy when you want Classic Homemade Hot Cocoa done right. You and your loved ones will love it! I promise.
Below are Pinterest-friendly sized images to pin at Pinterest!
- 3 cups (600 grams) organic pure cane granulated sugar, such as 365™ Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®
- 2 cups (400 grams) organic pure cane light brown sugar, such as 365™ Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®
- 3 cups (336 grams) fine-quality unsweetened cocoa, such as Pernigotti, available at Williams-Sonoma
- 1 tablespoon (24 grams) kosher or natural sea salt, such as 365™ Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®
Tips:To Store Hot Cocoa Mix: Keep stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix will keep all winter long. Variations for Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix For Maple Sugar Hot Cocoa Mix: Substitute granulated pure maple sugar in equal amounts for the sugars in the mix. Maple sugar can be purchased online or at specialty food shops or health food stores. For Vanilla Bean Hot Cocoa Mix: With a sharp paring knife, on a small cutting board, carefully slice down the center of 4 fine-quality (plump and moist) whole vanilla beans, almost to the end but leaving the end intact, to split open. With the back of the paring knife, scrape seeds into bowl with sugar. Using fingertips, work the vanilla seeds into the sugars until well incorporated. From this point proceed with recipe as directed. For Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix: Use organic and vegan granulated sugar and brown sugar, such as 365™ Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®. For Small-Batch Hot Cocoa Mix: To make a small batch of Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix, to yield 2 cups of mix, simply reduce the ingredients thusly: • ¾ cup (150 grams) organic pure cane granulated sugar
• ½ cup (100 grams) organic pure cane light or dark brown sugar
• ¾ cup (84 grams) fine-quality unsweetened cocoa
• ¾ teaspoon (6 grams) kosher or sea salt
For Half-Batch Hot Cocoa Mix: To make a half batch of Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix, to yield 4 cups of mix, simply reduce the ingredients thusly: • 1½ cups (300 grams) organic pure cane granulated sugar
• 1 cup (200 grams) organic pure cane light or dark brown sugar
• 1½ cups (168 grams) fine-quality unsweetened cocoa
• 1½ teaspoons (12 grams) kosher or sea salt
Variations for Hot Cocoa For Dairy-Free and Vegan Hot Cocoa: Prepare variation for Vegan Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix as well as use full-fat coconut milk and/or homemade almond milk in lieu of the dairy milk called for in the recipe. If desired, dilute the full-fat coconut milk slightly with purified (filtered) water. The sugars recommended in this recipe, 365™ Everyday Value by Whole Foods Market®, are both organic and vegan. For Extra Rich & Creamy Hot Cocoa: Use part whole milk and heavy cream in lieu of just whole milk for a richer and creamier hot cocoa. Or, for nondairy and vegan option, use full-fat coconut milk (not diluted slightly with water or blended with homemade almond milk). For Extra Thick Hot Cocoa: Add ¼ teaspoon tapioca starch to each mug and stir in with hot cocoa mix before stirring in hot milk. For Irish Hot Cocoa: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey to each mug after stirring hot milk into hot cocoa mix. Reheat each mug in microwave until heated through, about 30 to 40 seconds. For Irish Cream Hot Cocoa: Add 3 to 4 tablespoons Baileys® Irish Cream to each mug after stirring hot milk into hot cocoa mix. Reheat each mug in microwave until heated through, about 30 to 40 seconds. For Luscious Caramel Hot Cocoa: Add 2½ to 3 tablespoons caramel sauce to milk before heating and whisking smooth. Stir mixture into mug with hot cocoa mix. For Mexican Hot Cocoa: Add a dash of ground cinnamon and freshly grated whole nutmeg to each mug with hot cocoa mix before stirring in hot milk. For a little heat, add a tiny pinch of cayenne and/or chili powder along with the other spices before stirring in hot milk. For Mocha Latte Hot Cocoa: Add ½ to 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder to each mug with hot cocoa mix before stirring in hot milk. Alternatively, add 1 to 2 tablespoons Kahlúa® to each mug after stirring milk into hot cocoa mix. Reheat each mug in microwave until heated through, about 30 to 40 seconds. For Nutella Hot Cocoa: Add 2 to 2½ tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread to milk before heating and whisking smooth. Stir mixture into mug with hot cocoa mix. For Nutty Irishman Hot Cocoa: Add 2 tablespoons Frangelico® hazelnut liqueur and 2 tablespoons Baileys® Irish Cream (or 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey) to each mug after stirring hot milk into hot cocoa mix. Reheat each mug in microwave until heated through, about 30 to 40 seconds. For Orange Hot Cocoa: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (Cointreau®) and/or brandy (Grand Marnier®) and sprinkle fresh orange zest on top of whipped cream. For Peppermint Hot Cocoa: Stir 1 drop of 100% pure peppermint oil, such as LorAnn Oils, to each mug of prepared hot cocoa. Top with whipped cream, sprinkle peppermint crunch on top and garnish with a small sprig of fresh mint or a small peppermint candy cane. For Pumpkin Spice Hot Cocoa: Prepare Maple Sugar Hot Cocoa Mix (above) and then add ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice to each mug with hot cocoa mix before stirring in hot milk. Original Recipe Source: WickedGoodKitchen.com Copyright © Wicked Good Kitchen. All content and images are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words. Alternatively, link back to this post for the recipe.