Crazy good yet distinctive, our Best Ever Pumpkin Spice French Toast with Bourbon is made with pumpkin butter and will knock your socks off. It is the perfect way to start the morning on weekends and holidays—not just during the fall, but for early spring Maple Syrup Harvest season that runs through April. Recipe includes variations for Grand Pumpkin Spice French Toast with Bourbon made with the addition of Grand Marnier® and a dairy free option. Serve with our Bourbon-Cider Maple Syrup for an extra special brunch!
- For the French Toast
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) pure maple syrup
- Pinch of kosher salt
- ½ cup (about 144 grams) Homemade Pumpkin Butter, recipe by WickedGoodKitchen™, or Pumpkin Butter by Trader Joe’s®
- 1 teaspoon fine-quality ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg
- Dash of ground cloves
- ¾ cup (180 ml) whole milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fine-quality bourbon
- 1½ (7.5 ml) teaspoons pure vanilla extract, such as Nielsen-Massey®
- 8 slices of day old challah, sliced about ½-inch thick
- 6 tablespoons (about 85 grams) unsalted butter or butter flavored palm shortening, such as Spectrum®
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) almond oil, or favorite vegetable oil
- Optional Toppings for Serving
- 1 recipe Bourbon-Cider Maple Syrup, recipe by WickedGoodKitchen™
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Fresh whipped cream
- Fresh blackberries, for garnish
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
- In a large shallow bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in maple syrup and salt until well combined. Add pumpkin butter and spices; whisk until well blended. Gradually whisk in milk, cream, bourbon and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Dip bread slices in pumpkin egg mixture, coating each side until well soaked, at least 30 seconds to 1 minute per side.
- In a large skillet or on a large griddle over medium-high heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter or shortening and 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat until the fats sizzle. Add half of the bread slices and cook until the bottoms are golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the slices over and continue to cook until the bottoms are golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer French toast slices to the heated baking sheet in the oven to keep warm until serving time. Very carefully wipe out the skillet or griddle with paper toweling. Repeat the process by melting the remaining butter and oil, and heat to sizzling point. Cook remaining 4 slices of bread and carefully transfer to heated baking sheet in oven to keep warm until serving time.
- Serve with warm Bourbon-Cider Maple Syrup and other suggested toppings. Garnish with fresh blackberries and mint leaves.
For Grand Pumpkin Spice French Toast with Bourbon: Add 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier® orange cognac or other orange liqueur to pumpkin egg mixture.
For Non-alcoholic Pumpkin Spice French Toast: Omit bourbon.
For Dairy Free Option: Substitute 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened almond milk, such as Almond Breeze®, for the whole cow’s milk and heavy cream called for in recipe.
Cook time is based on 5 minutes per slice of French toast.
Recipe Inspired by: Bobby Flay’s Pumpkin and Rum French Toast, FoodNetwork.com.
Original Recipe Source: WickedGoodKitchen.com
Copyright © Wicked Good Kitchen. All content and images are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words. Alternatively, link back to this post for the recipe.