Rich and creamy, satisfying and full of flavor, with the familiar hot cereal texture we all love, our 3-Minute Coconut-Almond Porridge is dairy free, grain free, paleo and vegan as well as nutrient rich. It is the ideal healthy quick breakfast—especially during cold winter months, but perfect to start any day!
- ¾ cup (180 ml) unsweetened almond milk, preferably homemade and additive free
- 6 tablespoons (39 grams) organic unsweetened shredded coconut, such as Let’s Do Organic®
- 3 tablespoons (21 grams) very finely ground raw organic unpasteurized almonds, such as Terrasoul Superfoods Raw Unpasteurized Organic Almonds
- 1½ tablespoons (about 10 grams) freshly ground organic raw whole golden flaxseed, such as Bob’s Red Mill®
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) pure vanilla extract, such as Nielsen-Massey®
- Pinch of sea salt
- Flavoring, Sweetening & Topping Ideas
- Pure maple syrup, date syrup, raw honey or molasses, for sweetening
- Organic butter flavored palm shortening, such as Spectrum®, or ghee for buttery flavor
- Full fat coconut milk or homemade almond milk, for drizzling
- Ground cinnamon or cardamom, to taste
- Freshly grated whole nutmeg, to taste
- Fresh banana or kiwi slices
- Fresh berries, such as blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and/or strawberries
- Dried fruit with no sugar added, such as blueberries, tart cherries, cranberries, currants, raisins or golden raisins
- Sautéed cinnamon apples
- Sliced almonds or broken or chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts
- Seeds such as pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds, for sprinkling
- Coconut flakes, for sprinkling
- Heat milk in a large stoneware (heatproof) cereal bowl in microwave for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in favorite flavorings and natural sweetener; top as desired with favorite fruits, berries, dried fruit and/or sliced almonds, other nuts or seeds and coconut flakes.
- If desired, drizzle with additional maple syrup and almond or coconut milk. Serve immediately.
Extra-Creamy Coconut Milk Variation: When homemade almond milk is not available, I like to make this extra-creamy coconut milk variation with canned coconut milk. Simply substitute the 3/4 cup almond milk called for in the recipe with 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk and 1/4 cup filtered or purified (distilled) water. (Oh, so good!) Just cover and refrigerate any leftover coconut milk for making porridge the next morning.
Stove Top Directions: In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the almond milk to a simmer. This should take about 1 minute or so. Remove from heat, carefully add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Return saucepan to heat and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until softened, thickened and heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in favorite flavorings and natural sweetener. Transfer porridge to serving bowl. Top as desired with favorite fruits, berries, dried fruit and/or sliced almonds, or other nuts and seeds and coconut flakes. If desired, drizzle with additional maple syrup and almond or coconut milk. Serve immediately.
For Thicker Porridge: Cook for an additional 30 to 60 seconds.
To Freshly Grind Whole Golden Flaxseed: Simply use a clean coffee grinder to achieve finely ground golden flaxseed meal. A coffee grinder dedicated to grinding dried herbs and spices as well as other ingredients is a very helpful tool in the kitchen.
Time Saver: To save time in the kitchen on busy weekday mornings, simply pre-measure the dry ingredients and keep handy, covered in a prep bowl, on the countertop near the cooktop range.
Original Recipe Source: WickedGoodKitchen.com
Copyright © Wicked Good Kitchen. All content and images are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words. Alternatively, link back to this post for the recipe.